viernes, 24 de junio de 2011

relative pronoums. 2

RELATIVE CLAUSES
 
Defining and non-defining relative clauses
 
1.     Complete the sentences using who or which, but only if necessary.
a)    Is that the woman ___________ you told me about?
b)    Is that the woman ___________ works in the bank?
c)     The chair ___________ was broken has been repaired.
d)    These are the shoes ____________ I bought last week.
e)    I saw John a moment ago. He was with a woman _____________ you don’t like.
f)      Did you pick up the keys ____________ were on this table?
g)    Robert is the boy __________ we met yesterday.
h)    I had a coffee with the girl _____________ lives next door.
i)      Did you see the letter _______________ came yesterday?
j)     I’ve lost the stamps ___________ I bought this morning.
 
2. Add the information in brackets to the sentences using who / whose / which / where.
1.     We stayed in Grasmere. (Grasmere is a small village in the north-west of England.)
2.     Mr Jones introduced me to his daughter. (Mr Jones lives next door.)
3.     The Queen’s Hotel is one of the oldest hotels in the city. (The Queen’s Hotel was built in 1750.)
4.     Maria is my best friend. (I have known Maria since I was a child.)
5.     John King is a policeman. (John King’s wife, Sue, spoke to us at the party last night.)
6.     On the journey, we stopped at a small village. (We had lunch at a pub in the village.)
7.     Robert lives in a flat in South London. (Robert is a doctor.)
8.     Next weekend I’m going to Aberdeen. (My sister has been living in Aberdeen for the past six months.)
9.     Martin’s new car has broken down. (Martin bought the car only last month.)
10. Gloria Randall is in my class at school. (Gloria Randall’s brother is the actor George Randall.)
 
3. Complete each sentence using who / which / whose / that / where and an idea from the box.
 
Alexander Bell was the man …
A launderette is a place …
A thermometer is something …
An architect is someone …
A teetotaller is someone …
 
 
A widow is a woman…
A widower is a man …
A vegetarian is someone …
A lawnmower is …
Indira Gandhi was the woman … 
husband is dead / became India’s first woman prime minister / measures temperature / cuts grass / wife is dead / designs buildings / doesn’t drink alcohol / does not eat meat or fish /


ANSWERS
 
Defining and non-defining relative clauses I
1. Complete the sentences using who or which, but onlyif necessary.
1.     
2.     WHO
3.     WHICH
4.     
5.     
6.     WHICH
7.     
8.     WHO
9.     WHICH
10. 
 
2. Add the information in brackets to the sentences using who / whose / which / where.
1.     We stayed in Grasmere, which is a small village in the north-west of England.
2.     Mr Jones, who lives next door, introduced me to his daughter.
3.     The Queen’s Hotel , which was built in 1750, is one of the oldest hotels in the city.
4.     Maria, who/whom I have known since I was a child, is my best friend.
5.     John King, whose wife, Sue, spoke to us at the party last night, is a policeman.
6.     On the journey, we stopped at a small village, where we had lunch at a pub.
7.     Robert, who is a doctor, lives in a flat in South London.
8.     Next weekend I’m going to Aberdeen, where my sister has been living for the past six months.
9.     Martin’s new car, which he bought only last month, has broken down.
10.Gloria Randall, whose brother is the actor George Randall, is in my class at school.
 
3. Complete each sentence using who / which / whose / that / where and an idea from the box.
1.     Alexander Bell was the man who/that invented the telephone.
2.     A launderette is a place where you can wash clothes.
3.     A thermometer is something which/that measures temperature.
4.     An architect is someone who/ that designs buildings.
5.     A teetotaller is someone who/that doesn’t drink alcohol.
6.     A widow is a woman whose husband is dead.
7.     A widower is a man whose wife is dead.
8.     A vegetarian is someone who/that does not eat meat or fish.
9.     A lawnmower is something which/that cuts grass.
10. Indira Gandhi was the woman who/that became India’s first woman prime minister.
 

No hay comentarios: