viernes, 24 de junio de 2011

relative pronoums. 3

RELATIVE PRONOUNS
  1. Fill in with that, which, where, when, what, whose, who, whom.
a.    Last year we visited London ___________ I liked very much.
b.    Last year we visited London, ___________ we stayed for two weeks.
c.     I didn’t see Mary, ____________ was a pity.
d.    That is the woman ___________ we saw. She’s the woman _________ whose house we bought.
e.    That’s the time __________ you have to make a decision.
f.      Peter, ___________ works with me, is a nice chap.
g.    I don’t know __________ I should do.
h.    From _________ did you buy your car, Paul or Peter?
i.      That’s the pub ___________ I met Susan two years ago.
j.      That’s the hospital in __________ I had my last operation.
k.    That’s the hospital ___________ I had my last operation.
l.      James, with ___________ I studied Medicine, is very well off now.
m. That’s the kind of answer __________ I dislike.
n.    Penguins, in ____________ I am interested, are fascinating animals.
o.    Was that the day _________ you killed your wife?
p.    Thomas, of ___________ I haven’t heard for a long time, was my best friend.
q.    Opera, ___________ I cannot stand, is my husband’s favourite music.
r.     Sheila is terribly ugly; ____________ is worse, she is lazy.
s.     Sheila is ugly and also lazy, __________ is even worse.
t.     That is the girl ______________ came to see me on Saturday.
2. Make relative sentences using whose.
a.    Paul works with my brother. I met his sister at the party.
b.    The Richardson’s are nice people. We bought their car.
c.     Sally broke up with Joe. I published her novel.
d.    Tim is a fascinating man. I went to his party.
e.    That is the criminal. We sent his brother to prison.
f.      That is Richard. A dead body was found in his swimming-pool.
g.    That is Mr Smith. I work for one of his firms.
3. Write equivalent sentences avoiding the use of whom and which.
a.    He is the boy about whom I was talking to you.
b.    Pete is the man from whom we got a letter.
c.     That is the company for which I work.
d.    Oxford is the university to which I went.
e.    Jazz is the kind of music in which I am interested.
f.      With whom did you get there?
g.    That is the hotel at which we were staying.
h.    You are the person for whom I was waiting.

ANSWERS
1. Fill in with that, which, where, when, what, whose, who, whom.
a.    WHICH
b.    WHERE
c.     WHICH
d.    --/THAT/WHO/WHOM ____ WHOSE
e.    WHEN
f.      WHO
g.    WHAT
h.    WHOM
i.      WHERE
j.      WHICH
k.    WHERE
l.      WHOM
m. --/THAT/WHICH
n.    WHICH
o.    WHEN
p.    WHOM
q.    WHICH
r.     WHAT
s.     WHICH
t.     WHO/THAT
  1. make relative sentences using whose.
a.    Paul, whose sister I met at the party, works with my brother.
b.    The Richardson’s, whose car we bought, are nice people.
c.     Sally, whose novel I published, broke up with Joe.
d.    Tim, whose party I went to, is a fascinating man.
e.    That is the criminal whose brother we sent to prison.
f.      That is Richard, in whose swimming-pool a dead body was found.
g.    That is Mr Smith, one of whose firm I work for.
  1. Write equivalent sentences avoiding the use of whom and which.
a.    He is the boy I was talking to you about.
b.    Pete is the man we got a letter from.
c.     That is the company I work for.
d.    Oxford is the university I went to.
e.    Jazz is the kind of music I am interested in.
f.      Who did you get there with?
g.    That is the hotel we were staying at.
h.    You are the person I was waiting for.

No hay comentarios: